Saturday, October 6, 2012 (all day event)
@Hi Mountain Lookout, SLO County, Los Padres National Forest
Come and discover one of the largest and most endangered flying birds of North America. California Condors are radio tracked from Hi Mountain Lookout. This is an opportunity for you to learn more about condor biology and the reintroduction of these magnificent birds back to the wild. The open house event will include condor radio-tracking demonstrations, native plant identification, bird watching field trips, and hands-on activities for kids.
Bird Watching Field Trip
- 9:00am - 11:30am: Meet 9am at Pozo Ranger. Carpooling from Pozo is recommended. Easy hiking conditions. Mike Stiles Morro Coast Audubon Society
- Kids Activities : beginning 11:00am
- Picnic Lunch: 11:30am – 12:30pm
- 12:30pm by Hi Mountain Lookout staff, volunteers, and student interns
- Geographical landmarks - from the Pacific coast to the Sierra Nevada - and demonstration of the original Hi Mountain Lookout firefinder by Kevin Cooper, USFS Wildlife Biologist, Los Padres NF
- Native Plant Identification walk and overview by Dr. Dirk Walters, CNPS: Central Coast Chapter
- Condor Radio Tracking demonstrations by Condor Recovery Program and Santa Barbara Zoo Staff
- Kids Nature Hike along Hi Mountain Lookout Road
- Sunset Watch and Dinner (wear layered clothing) POT LUCK DINNER!!
- Saucelito Canyon Vineyards wine serving, compliments of Nancy Greenough Saucalito Canyon
- Beginning at 7pm: Presentations by the 2012 Hi Mountain Student Interns and Friends of the California Condor
- “Condor movie night” Popcorn and refreshments will be served!
- Astronomy observations: Telescopic observations of the evening skies
- Overnight camping near the lookout is optional.
- Join us for complimentary serving of wine by staff from Saucelito Canyon Winery, cheese tasting, and a potluck dinner while enjoying the sunset watch.
Please RSVP Steve Schubert: (805) 528-6138 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org